Sadly it’s time to direct our minds forward to Fall. While the thought of chilly weather is not all that appealing, the idea of shopping is! Here are my top five essentials for keeping your closet and budget on track:
1. Jeans please – you’ll instantly add versatility and vavoom to your wardrobe by purchasing a new cut or colour in jeans. From relaxed boyfriend to slim and skinny or flattering flares – try a new shape and/or shade of denim.
Here’s the boyfriend cut from American Eagle, skinny jeans from Esprit and some fab flares from The Gap:
2. Pencil it in – while the classic pencil skirt might not be the perfect piece for chasing a toddler, it is going to take you from the office (great topped off with a slim sweater and belt) to formal functions (just add a crisp cotton shirt) to Holiday parties (with a silky top.) Add some heels and voila – you are ready to go. If you are tall and slim you can even wear this must-have with flats. Nothing beats the ultimate classic – buy it in black. This leg-lengthening look is from Banana Republic (note how the dark hose and shoes help with that long lean look) and this office option is from j. Crew:
3. Go long – there’s a ton of terrific tops available in longer lengths – anywhere from hip to just above the knee works. Keep your body proportions in mind. Longer lengths can further shorten the appearance of those with proportionally shorter legs or if you are petite. Generally, the longer the length of the top, the slimmer the bottom item. For an instant update, go for something with a slashed neckine, cowl neck, ruching of ruffles. The choice is endless. Here’s a new shape in black from Esprit balanced with interesting accessories, a pleasant peasant top from Guess and an adaptable, draped cardie from Banana Republic:
4. Get a leg up – Ok I admit it – I was wrong. Last year, I predicted that leggings would not make a serious comeback. Yet, here we are, with leggings as a wardrobe staple. If you haven’t got some, get some. (Note to self!) Matte black, grey, brown or navy are the classics, but if you are feeling adventurous you can get them in shiny materials (a la Olivia Newton John in Grease) and even in hot fushia – NOT! I prefer the legging look with flats and tunics that fall to at least mid-thigh (please no tops that do not cover the bottom!) Here are some lovely looks from Victoria’s Secret demonstrating that, with the right pieces, leggings have versatily as loungewear, weekend wear and and everyday casual:
5. Tighten your belt – the belt is the essential accessory to all the pieces above this Fall to create balance and define a waist over tunics and leggings, emphasize your assets in a pencil skirt and define your denims. For total versatility, choose a soft leather buckled version that can be worn through belt loops or over tops – take a look back at the black Esprit tunic above. I also love these suade and equestrian styles from Old Navy. There are also a plethora of perforated belts. This one is from Payless.
So there you have it, my five picks for Fall. What will you choose to update your closet? Share your ideas in the comments below.