One of the things I miss most while bring pregnant is shopping for clothes. I love fashion but for the past seven months have been wearing schlumpy maternity pants and loud, printed muumuus. I peruse the J. Crew catalogue, dreaming of all the beautiful outfits I’d love to buy once I’ve had the baby and am back to a svelte size 2 (ha!) shortly thereafter.
Alas, reality dictates that I don’t blow a big wad of cash on more maternity clothes, nor would I really want to since I know this is my last pregnancy. So, there are other little things I do while pregnant to make myself feel good about my appearance, despite my widening frame.
1. Get a pedicure. I haven’t been able to comfortably reach my gnarly toes for a few months now and I feel bad for the poor esthetician who has to deal with my dreadful callouses and crooked toe nails, but I always treat myself to one pedicure when I’m pregnant. Shiny red toenail polish makes everything better.
2. Wear a fun hat. It’s summer time and I have this great white floppy beach hat. It’s great and draws attention UP towards my face, which is nice.
3. Accessorize! A nice statement necklace really perks up that maternity top I’ve been wearing for the past week straight.
4. Make-up is fun! A nice new sparkly eyeshadow or a perfect new foundation always makes me feel polished and a little more like myself.
5. Eat a tasty treat. I know, I know, maybe if I laid off the sweets I wouldn’t have to do all of the above to make myself feel decent, but there is something so perfect about a pregnant woman in a muumuu walking down main street while a triple-scoop ice cream cone drips onto her belly as she happily slurps her cone.
What things did you do to make yourself feel beautiful or pampered while pregnant? (If you say “exercise” or “eat a quinoa salad” you’re in big trouble.)