As much as I love the summer and all its glory, I always welcome the advent of fall. Here are 10 things I love about the season:
1. The crisp nip in the air. A cardigan or sweatshirt and I could walk for hours.
2. Turtlenecks, tights, corduroys and boots. Preferably in shades of brown, rust, purple, gold and teal.
3. Back-to-school stuff – I’m a huge sucker for new stationery, pens, backpacks, pristine packs of loose-leaf and shiny new binders.
4. The changing of the leaves – cliché I know, but so beautiful time after time.
5. Halloween costumes – how fun is it to plan our outfits and get dressed up? It’s getting more fun as my kids get bigger and more excited about costume-planning. This year my three will go as Optimus Prime (the good guy from Transformers), Belle from Beauty and the Beast, and a little butterfly for the Baby.
6. Fall food – yummy soups, stews, roasts, and casseroles. Bye bye barbeque – we had a blast but I’m okay if I don’t see another piece of bbq’d chicken for another year. In fact, I’ve got a pot roast in the oven as we speak and it smells darn good.
7. New movies. Summer movies suck, and I’m always happy to see some more substantial cinematic fare hit the theatres.
8. New TV shows. The wave of reality television that descended upon tv in the summer was both banal and depressing. I’m eager to check out some new shows, namely The Fringe, True Blood and the new 90210 (I’m not embarrassed about that one – bring it on!)
9. Free afternoons. My kids are in school again and I have the afternoons freed up to get stuff done, and spend time with my five-month old…who’s growing so fast that I’m scared this "baby phase" is going to whiz by without me enjoying it.
10. The brevity and beauty of this quick season. I know that this season too will pass, bringing with it the joy of the holidays and my kids’ birthdays, a long winter (ughh) and then the beauty of spring all over again.