When the lovely folks at MINI Canada offered me a vehicle to test drive for the weekend, I jumped at the opportunity. What sane mom doesn’t dream of trading in the minivan for a stylish little MINI? Judging by my post on Instagram when I picked up my weekend vehicle, I’m not alone in my dreams! Fellow moms commented on how it was their “dream car” and the vehicle they hope to buy “when the kids move out”.
- My husband and I spent the day pretending we were child- (and worry-) free. We shopped for ourselves (new boots for him, jewelry for me!). We ate what will no doubt be our last patio meal of the season, splitting sushi and overlooking the city. We popped into an expensive luxury foods store we’d driven by many times, and dropped a ridiculous amount of money on dinner.
- I drove my 7 year old daughter and her friend to hockey practice Saturday morning. Three girls and two hockey bags (plus sticks!) squeezed nicely into the MINI.
- I picked up my 13 year old son and one friend from a party and felt like the coolest mom in the carpool.
- I drove my 11 year old son to his goalie practice (one bigger kid, one bigger hockey bag, goalie pads and a stick squeezed in with a little less room).
- To do the weekly grocery shop at No Frills. This vehicle’s trunk is no match for my kids’ appetites.
- To my son’s hockey game with the whole family and his equipment. We’d be strapping kids to the roof and dragging goalie pads in a trailer behind us.
- To pick up my 13 year old son and his teammates from hockey practice; 7 year old girls’ legs tuck nicely in the back seat; older boys legs would fold up like origami (not to mention the smell that would never come out of that lush cashmere interior!)