Happy Canada Day weekend everyone.
We’ve been keeping things pretty low-key since I could have this babe any day now. Sadly I’m missing my best friend’s bachelorette weekend, patio drinks and all around good long weekend fun, but it will be worth it right?
My mind is elsewhere anyway. So much so that I put cayenne pepper in L’il E’s oatmeal this morning instead of his coveted cinnamon and then got annoyed with him when he started complaining and whining about how spicy his breakfast was.
“Spicy mummy!” said L’il E with a whine.
To which I retorted. “Oh come on E just eat your oatmeal. The cinnamon is not spicy.”
Then I burst into laughter as I saw the spice bottle labeled CAYENNE on his little table. Sorry bubs.
Anyway, with all that said I was going to do a more in depth post today, but I just don’t have it in me so I’ll leave you with this delicious fresh strawberry spelt muffin recipe. They are great way to use up those ratty looking Ontario strawberries that you didn’t eat right away. Oh, and they’re wheat free.
So here goes.
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1/2 cup oat flour (just whiz up some oats in your coffee grinder)
- A couple grinds of the salt mill
- 2 tsps baking powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup milk or non-dairy substitute like soy milk or almond milk
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup diced strawberries
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Mix flours, salt, baking powder, and sugar in a medium bowl.
- In another bowl stir together milk, oil and vanilla extract.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir until just combined, then fold in strawberries making sure not to overmix.
- Pour into muffin cups and bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown and spring to the touch.
Yum! Unfortunately I don’t think these will stick around long enough to be stashed in the freezer for when baby arrives.