First, let me clarify that in this post I am only talking about me. This is simply my experience. I am in no way attempting to make sweeping statements representing all working moms or commenting on the challenges of staying at home. I am an expert on neither.
- They were constantly hungry and even when they fed themselves there was a mess to clean up. Even when they cleaned up the mess there was a mess to clean up. When they didn’t, we had to do it for them.
- They got bored. “We’re bored. What can we do?” A lot.
- They made up a song that they sang in the car. That song went like this: “Arrrrrrre weeeee therrrrrrrre yet? Are we there yet?! Are we there yet?!” over and over and over and over.
- They made up a new phrase that replaced any random word or phrase in a sentence. Said phrase was used over and over and over and over. Said phrase was “poo nugget”.
- They couldn’t figure stuff out for themselves.
- They wanted me and my sister to play with them. Often.
- They needed to sleep with me. In the bed.
- They were arguing/disagreeing/fighting.
- They couldn’t find “X”.
- They needed help with “Y”.
- They were annoying and loud and constantly there.
Oh my. That sounds brutal. But I guess that is kind of my point. It wasn’t really brutal it was just constant. And I am not used to constant.