I was on the fence about posting this because it can be a debatable topic (plus its pretty late in the season).
This is just me having a conversation with myself about whether or not to get the flu shot. If you have a difference of opinion, please be respectful if you share your opinion.
I should get one for myself and I will get one once I get past this scratchy sore throat. Better late than never, but I will.
The kids are always a tougher decision for me.
Campbell is not so much a tough decision. Or Eva really.
I won’t lie though. In the back of my mind there is always the very small thought that there could be an adverse reaction. That small thought weighs heavily on me.
Especially where Cuyler is concerned.
We knew from birth that Cuyler could have developmental issues due the the lack of oxygen from his cord accident at birth. As he grew there were delays that presented.
In the beginning, I worried about cerebral palsy. As he got older, I saw more characteristics of autism present.
I delayed and separated his vaccines – that’s what I I felt most comfortable with and our dr was very supportive of that.
We knew that his entire system works differently. He is gluten and dairy intolerant and we’ve had great success with his biomed treatments.
Sean and I never discussed this up until recently but each of us had thought about it. It was like the pink elephant in our parenting:
Cuyler had a flu shot when he was 2 and we saw changes in him after that.
Did it have anything to do with the flu shot? I don’t know.
Would these regressions have happened anyways? I don’t know.
What if he gets the flu and god forbid a something tragic happens to him and I could have prevented it with the flu vaccine?
What if I give him the flu shot and the 8 years of hard work is erased because he has an adverse reaction to it?
I know how slim the chances are of either of those things happening are, however we have been on the wrong side of the odds too many times to feel secure either way.
Is the flu shot a no brainer for you?
Do you get it as soon as it’s available or does it take you months to make a decision – like me?