Congratulations to our third Weight Watchers contest winner Teresa! Way to go Teresa, you’ve just taken the first step in your journey towards a happier, healthier you.
And speaking of journeys, I’m well on the way in my own weight loss journey. I’ve been at this for 10 weeks now and I’ve lost 12 pounds. That’s still right on track for the one to two pounds per week that Weight Watchers recommends, and I’m pleased as can be with my results. I have more that I’d like to do – in fact, I’m only just about half-way towards my ultimate goal, but with some steady success under my belt, I feel confident that I’ll make it there. And look out, summer – I’m planning to spend many a day poolside and dockside, and I’ll be sporting a brand new bathing suit and feeling great in it as well.
When I look back on the last ten weeks and reflect on my progress, I can see that a number of important factors have been at play.
1. DECISION. First, I owned my situation and decided that I wanted to change it. I took a good, clear look at my present body and lifestyle, and decided to improve both of them.
2. GOAL. Rather than striking out at random, I gave sober thought to my weight loss goal. Is it realistic for me to try to look like a woman in her twenties or a celebrity who spends hours every day working out with a trainer and has a personal chef? No. I set a realistic goal that would help me balance a healthy, comfortable me with the other realities of my life (working full-time, single mom, food- and wine-lover). I broke that bigger goal into smaller stepping-stones so that I’d have sign posts and reasons to celebrate on the road to my ultimate goal.
3. TRACKING. For me the most important key to success is the Weight Watchers tracking tool – tracking keeps me accountable and in control.
4. TOOLS FOR SUCCESS. Accessing the other tools that Weight Watchers offers gives me a wide variety of strategies to employ at any time. Maybe I need a little boost or reminder, or maybe things are going well and I want to push myself a little bit more – well, the tools are there to support me.
5. BIG PICTURE PERSPECTIVE. Keeping a bigger picture perspective helps me manage the inevitable ups and downs that come with – well, with life! Not everything is going to be perfect all the time, and I have had (and will no doubt have again) some blips in my journey. I don’t always make perfect choices, and I don’t always get perfect results each day or week. But I know that in the long run, my weight is trending down, down, down and my healthy habits are trending up, up, up. It’s all about being able to see the forest without being blinded by the trees.
Putting it all together you can see how my success hasn’t hinged on any one thing – this is really the key, for me. I can’t put all my eggs in one basket, because I know I won’t be able to sustain it. So farewell to all the fads – Weight Watchers 360˚ is a program that I can incorporate into my lifestyle long-term. And that can only mean a better and better me.
Bring it on!
My after (so far!) photo: