Recently I had a chance to see kiwifruit in action. Sure, I was a bit surprised when I was invited to a three course meal featuring, of all things, the kiwi.
But I have to say, after having my fill, I was amazed by all the amazing dishes showcasing the kiwi. I’m talking way beyond an exotic fruit salad, here. The humble kiwi really has a lot more going for it than we give it credit for.
So here is where I suggest you start if you want to try cooking with kiwifruit: a to-die-for Zespri Kiwifruit Corn Salsa. This salsa is crunchy, tangy and just perfect as a side dish for your next weekend party. Great with grilled fish (or any grilled protein), this recipe is quick and easy and trying it out should be on the top of your list.
Zespri Kiwifruit Corn Salsa
by Chef Devin Connell
1 tbs grape seed oil
2 corn cobs, kernels removed
½ tsp chipotle powder
½ tsp kosher salt
2 green onions, minced
1 tbs lime juice
1. Heat sauté pan with oil on high heat. Add corn and chipotle powder.
2. Sauté corn for one and a half minutes.
3. Corn should be barely cooked and still crunchy.
4. Remove from heat and set aside to completely cool.
5. Peel kiwi and dice into 1/2 inch chunks.
6. Gently toss kiwifruit with corn, salt, green onion and lime juice.
7. Serve as a side to your main dish.