Keeping the food warm is always my challenge when it comes to dinner time. By the time you wrangle the kids to the table after grabbing drinks and washing hands, I’m like a dragon lady breathing fire and the food is cold! Casseroles are easier to keep warm especially when you have several mouths to feed like special occasion brunches. Like cottage weekends when you’re entertaining a big crowd… making 15 individual Eggs Benedict is enough to put me over the edge.
I’ve had this recipe in my stash for years and it’s one of my “go-to’s” as everyone loves it and it’s easier than the traditional dish!
EGGS BENNY CASSEROLE FOR 6
6 English Muffins
3 tbsp mustard (sweet is preferred, or grainy)
6 slices peameal bacon cooked (or ham)
6 slices of swiss cheese
6 slices tomatoes
2 cups of milk
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
chopped up chives for garnish
1. Cut muffins in halves, spread lightly with mustard. Place halves in casserole dish cut side up with mustard exposed.
2. Top with peameal, cheese, place other half of muffin on top with cut side up. Layer tomato slices on top.
3. Whisk eggs in separate bowl with milk, salt & pepper and pour over muffins. Cover and refridgerate overnight for up to 12 hours.
4. When ready to cook spoon more mixture from pan over muffins. Use additional cheese over top. Bake at 375F oven for 45 -50 minutes until tops are golden and egg mixture is just set.
5. Spoon hollandaise sauce and sprinkle chopped chives on top when ready to serve.
You should always prepare the hollandaise sauce a few minutes before serving. So do this while the casserole is in the oven. It takes about 5 minutes to cook.
6 egg yolks (use the freshest eggs you can get)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2-3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 cup butter
1. Place egg yolks, salt, pepper and 2 tbsp lemon juice in a blender and blend until mixed.
2. In a saucepan, melt the butter then remove and slowly add butter to the egg/lemon mixture and blend until it forms a creamy sauce. Feel free to blend in more lemon juice to your liking.
Serve with a side of fresh green salad and a colourful fruit salad!
If you are worried about serving raw eggs, alternatively there are packages of Hollandaise sauce mixes that work just as well. Yes, I’ve cheated there a few times. No biggie.