Summer is just creeping on our doorsteps. Mother nature has given us a teaser over the past couple of weeks and we can just taste it can’t we? The sweet lingering time on the front porch as the summer nights ease in. The BBQ on the back patio with the kids splashing in the sprinklers. The fun in the sun at the cottage. A cool refreshing drink in hand. That’s all we ask for, right?
As if that teaser wasn’t enough, last night in the penthouse suite of the swanky Cosmopolitan Hotel in downtown Toronto, I had the opportunity to sip on some delicious cocktails. — Yes, it’s a tough job sometimes, but you know… *winks*
Here are just a few of the yummy recipes that really stood out!
WATERMELON GRAPEFRUIT FIZZ
- 8 cups (2 L) cubed watermelon
- 1 can Minute Maid® 100% Grapefruit Juice frozen concentrate, mixed with 1 ½ cans water
- 8 cups (2 L) Sprite® beverage *
- Basil leaves for garnish
In batches, puree watermelon cubes in blender. In large bowl, stir together prepared Minute Maid® 100% Grapefruit Juice with watermelon puree.
To serve: Fill glass with ice. Fill halfway with juice, top up with Sprite®. Stir in torn basil leaves.
Per approx. 1 cup (8.5 oz./ 250 mL)) serving: about 101 cal, 1 g pro, 0 g total fat (0 g sat. fat), 26 g carb (0 g dietary fibre, 24 g sugar), 0 mg chol, 25 mg sodium, 84 mg potassium. % RDI: 1% calcium, 1% iron, 4% vit A, 52% vit C, 1% folate.
* Sprite Zero® can be substituted if preferred
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) water
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) sugar
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped fresh mint
- 1 can Minute Maid® Lemonade Frozen concentrate, mixed with 3 cans water
- 1 can Minute Maid® Limeade Frozen concentrate, mixed with 3 cans water
- Mint leaves for garnish
1. Simple Syrup: In a small pot over medium-high heat, stir together water and sugar and simmer until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat, stir in mint; cover and keep on the side. Meanwhile, pour Minute Maid® Frozen Lemonade into large, shallow glass baking dish and place in freezer overnight.
2. Strain mint from simple syrup. Stir simple syrup into Minute Maid® Limeade, pour into large, shallow glass baking dish and place in freezer overnight.
3. Using fork, scrape surface of each mixture creating an icy snow. Layer lemonade and limeade in glass with chopped mint. Garnish with mint leaves.
ADULT OPTION: Pour 1 oz (30 mL). rum over layers and let sit 2 minutes (to create a mojito!) Stir to mix.
Per approx. 1 2/3 cups (15 oz./ 150 mL) serving: about 271 cal, 0 g pro, 0 g total fat (0 g sat. fat), 72 g carb (0 g dietary fibre, 69 g sugar), 0mg chol, 19 mg sodium, 3 mg potassium. % RDI: 1% calcium
BLACKBERRY SMASH PINK LEMONADE POPS
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) fresh blackberries
- 1 can frozen Minute Maid® Pink Lemonade Frozen concentrate
- 1 ¼ (300 mL) cups water
- 200 mL – tetra Minute Maid® Mixed Berry 100% juice
Place blackberries in large bowl and smash with wooden spoon. Add Minute Maid® Pink Lemonade Frozen concentrate, water and mixed berry blend. Pour into popsicle molds leaving ½-cm room at top for expansion. Freeze until hard.
Per serving (approx. 1/4 cup / 2 oz/ 60 mL. per one pop): about 47 cal, 0 g pro, 0 g total fat (0 g sat. fat), 13 g carb (1 g dietary fibre, 11 g sugar), 0 mg chol, 4 mg sodium, 11 mg potassium. % RDI: 8% vit C, 1% folate.
Minute Maid® also introduces frozen fruit smoothies made with 100% juice, real fruit puree and no added sugar. Two flavours are now available: Strawberry Banana and Tropical. You can simply add water and ice or use milk, yogurt or ice cream for a creamier smoothie!
For more information and other thirst quenching recipes visit www.minutemaid.ca
This post is not sponsored, nor was I compensated. UrbanMoms was invited to the tasting event to sample the latest summer treats!