Mother’s Day is fast approaching and you know the drill—some flowers, a nice card and a warm hug are the usual go-to’s. Sometimes though, it’s nice to go above and beyond—to show your love through meaningful gestures on top of the gifts.
Here are our top fave ways to show your mom how you feel about her:
- Send her a handwritten letter. Having it arrive around Mother’s Day will be a surprise she won’t see coming. You’ll convey thoughtfulness and love by writing it with your own words, completely personalized. Sometimes, it’s the sweet words we say that make all the difference.
- Spend the week leading up to Mother’s Day sending your mom funny/cute pictures via text message, either of yourself or things you’ve seen floating around the internet that you just know she’ll get a kick out of. She’ll know you’re thinking of her and feel special for an entire week, instead of just one day.
- Make your mom a special meal—her favourite meal. Invite her over, treat her to some fancy wine, have the beautiful place settings out, and the finest meal you’ve ever prepared ready to go. She’ll know how much you appreciate her as she digs into her favourite dish.
- Sign up for a class together. Spend a few hours trying out pottery making, drawing, watercolour painting, or anything else neither of you have done before. You’ll get to spend quality time together trying out something new and probably have a few laughs along the way as you both figure out how to shape that clay bowl.
- Have flowers delivered before you see her on the weekend. While you’ll probably have some gifts lined up for when you see your mom face-to-face on Mother’s Day, you can always go for a nice surprise ahead of time by having flowers sent. Adding a cute little note or doodle will personalize the gesture.
- Spend some uninterrupted time with your mom. Head to a show, get your nails done, take off on a walk—sometimes the best gift you can give a parent is time one-on-one to reconnect and talk about everything and nothing—just being in each other’s presence is enough.
- Create a ‘mom appreciation’ jar. Decorate a mason jar and fill it with little notes saying all the things you love and admire about your mom. From now till Mother’s Day you can add a note or two to the jar so that it’s filled up by the time you go to visit her.
- Write your mom a poem or song lyrics. If you’ve got a way with words, a poem or some lyrics dedicated to her are the perfect way to show how much you care. It’s truly the thought that counts and this gesture lets her know you’re thinking of her and have spent time putting real effort into her gift.