It is every mother’s wish to have a full night’s rest. But after the unthinkable happened—a frightening, near death experience that almost caused Monique Ruppel and her family their lives—this Canadian mother is incredibly grateful that her one-year-old daughter, Celia, woke her up.
In a post on Facebook, Monique broadcasted on Facebook of how her and her family suffered carbon monoxide poisoning. It can occur suddenly or it can take hours—even a number of days—for carbon monoxide poisoning to take effect. The Ruppels went to sleep not expecting anything and feeling fine. Little did they know that in a few hours it would be their daughter who would save their lives.
According to Monique, Celia usually wakes up once, like clockwork, every night. The couple always gets out of bed to go to her room so that they can help her fall back asleep. However, on this particular evening, Celia ended up waking up a second time at 3 a.m.
“I attempted to make my way to her room but only made it a few feet before being completely overwhelmed with vertigo. Kyle immediately woke and we quickly realized something was wrong.”
“We both suffered from dizziness, headache, nausea and burning eyes. We packed a bag and woke Celia. She began vomiting and as I held her my cat collapsed at my feet. Luckily Kyle’s parents arrived to help right before he collapsed. He came to right away and 911 was called. We were all taken to the hospital.”
Undergoing three, 2.5 hour dives in a Hyperbaric Chamber, the family is predicted to make a full recovery.Monique’s advice is to take all necessary precautions. “Please ensure you have a carbon monoxide detector and that it works.” Checking your detector on a regular basis is extremely important. Something like this can happen to anyone.
“We are so thankful Celia woke us. Our sweet sweet baby saved us all.” Monica said. We at UrbanMoms hope that the Ruppel family is recovering well, and we wish them all the best.