Hooray! Party season is about to begin. And, I don’t mean sportball/princess/sticky/loot bag parties. Real grown-up parties, where no one cries (hopefully) and you can complete a conversation!! Time to book a sitter and dress up a little.
Here’s a selection of party pieces that will turn your closet classics into luminous holiday looks.
1. Playful pumps – add interest to basic black or dress up jeans with some hot heels. The stores are full of playful, powerful pumps, and you don’t need to break the bank to get some. Get flirty feet with ruffles, shiny sateen or animal accents. These are from Spring, Suzy Shier and Payless.
2. Shine! – with a satin, silky or sparkly top. There’s something for everyone and every budget out there right now – so choose the colour or style that suits you best to top off classic jeans, black pants or pencil skirt. Here’s just a glimpse of this season’s glamour:
Show off your shoulders with a hot new halter. This one is from Banana Republic and the not-too-tight fit allows for a few holiday indulgences!
The classic cardie has made a comeback this season and can take you from office to family function to cocktail party in style and comfort. Here’s a Reitman’s revival with trendy satin trim:
Don’t sew them on yourself. Seek a sequinned tank for up-to-the-minute party pizazz. This one is from American Eagle:
3. Bountiful Bling – No need to buy anything else but a statement piece of costume jewelry this year. Make your basic black T’s and sweaters or plain white shirts party perfect with the addition of a statement necklace, bracelet or pair of earrings. (This is an especially great trick for expectant moms with a limited maternity wardrobe.) Here’s a few examples of some of the hottest holiday must-haves, starting with a snowflake stunner from Aldo (imagine how sharp this will look over a black or grey background):
Add a twist to your wrist with a cuff. Here’s a Reitman’s example that would accent black, white, grey or this season’s hot pinks and purples.:
When it comes to earrings, it’s essentiel to go BIG this holiday season. Take a look at these two-tone babies from Banana Republic. Beautiful with black, white, grey and just about any shade this season has to offer:
4. Get uptight – but only where your legs are concerned. If you decide to wear a skirt or dress, glam up your gamms with opaque or patterned tights. It’s an instant update for that classic pencil skirt or sheath dress. For the longest, leanest look, match the colour of your shoes, tights and skirt. These are from Spring and Banana Republic
5. An itty-bitty bag – as long as it holds your lipstick, you are good to go. Remember, you’ll be without the kids and won’t need to haul diapers, Thomas the Train, a dolly, a Nintendo DS, snacks and drinks. Look for a cute clutch that’s not only your purse, but an additional accessory. The sea blue sparkly is from Aldo, the black and white bow is from Guess and the red ruched is from Banana Republic.
So there you have it, pick one, two or three from the fab five above, accent your closet classics, and you will be prepped for party season. Next time – five fabulous frocks!