It’s here! It’s here!
Spring – with its green grass and promises of sunny days and
warm less cold temperatures – is finally here!
You made it through the snow, slush and biting winds of winter with your sanity (most of it) and your kids intact. If there’s anyone who deserves a reward it’s you.
I know what you’re thinking: March Break is behind you and summer holidays are months away. What’s a girl – with a packed bag and desperate sense of longing – to do?
Whether you’re gathering your girlfriends/ your kids/ your significant other or heading off on your own, travel deals and great destinations are calling your name. It would be rude not to answer.
Struggling with where to go?
Here are 5 places to start:
1. Paris – The shopping, the delicate pastries, the shopping, the museums, the shopping…I think you’re getting the picture here.
2. Cancun – I know it’s where you went to party in your youth, but I’m telling you Cancun has some great options now that you’re, um, more mature. My latest favourite: Fiesta Americana Grand Coral Beach Resort – a 5 diamond resort with a 5 diamond French Mediterranean restaurant and a new 40,000 square foot Gem Spa where treatments last for hours.
3. Istanbul, Turkey – Standing in front of the Blue Mosque while hearing the call to prayers over the loudspeakers overhead will redefine what beauty feels like. Age-old architecture, amazing cuisine and maybe, just maybe, a hand-knotted $1000 rug as a souvenir round out the reasons it’s a favourite.
4. Ottawa – Some think of Ottawa as a winter haven but for me the city comes into its best each spring. The tulips are out and this walkable city is transformed into one big, easy-access, neighbourhood. Not to be missed: high tea at the Chateau Laurier, a walk along the Rideau Canal, a meal at Murray Street Kitchen and a stop in at the National Gallery.
5. Miami – A resurgence in the popularity of the downtown core and a free people mover that makes it easy to see it from tip to tail make the city visitor friendly. Plus you’re steps from beach and sand, with plenty of night spots to get your groove on and a gourmet dining scene that will make you an instant fan. It’s the perfect precursor to summer.
Need help taking the Spring Getaway leap? Leave me a comment telling me about the Spring getaway spot you’d most like to escape to and you could win a $250 travel voucher from Transat Holidays to help make it happen. For more getaway ideas pop over and visit me at www.GlobetrottingMama.com